Friday, April 8, 2011

Professional Reading #7

Lewin, T. (2010, January 20). If Your Kids Are Awake, They're Probably Online. The New York Times.

In 2000 I was in Italy and saw a group of elementary aged children during their lunch on a field, many of which were on talking on their cell phones. I didn’t even own a cell phone at the time and couldn’t believe that these six and seven year-olds were gabbing on their phones during their lunch break. I knew that it was just a matter of time before I would see the same thing in the U.S. This article discusses the increase in usage of electronic devices by young people between the ages of eight and 18 within the last six years. The article states that young people "spend more than seven and a half hours a day" with electronic devices, such as smart phones, MP3 players, computers, and televisions. I am interested to see the breakdown of time spent on these electronic devices, for instance, how much of that time is spent on computers at school or doing homework.

The thing that bothers me most about this phenomenon is the general apathy of the parents interviewed. Parents with the attitude of what I am I supposed to do, this is how it is these days, it's everywhere, I don't have any control over it, etc. This article discusses parents who have successfully limited electronic devices in their children's lives, showing parents that they are not lacking control over this situation. My parents set limits for the telephone and television when I was a kid, my mom even initiated a week long ban on the television, which actually turned out to be a pretty fun week. My parents allowed us to have video games, but we had to buy the console ourselves. I think this was a great idea, because by the time I had saved my allowance and birthday money to buy a Nintendo, I was reluctant to part with all I had saved for so long on a video game console.

1 comment:

  1. I, too, am sort of baffled by the what you called apathy. You have a responsibility to parent, sometimes that isn't easy. If you are ok with that kind of connection say so, don't say well, what am I supposed to do! I am also surprised how parents think because they can call a kid on a cell phone they know where the kid is.

    ReplyDelete